Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Basic Information on the Basic Six Movement Patterns w/ basic activities and music


This is some basic info on the "Basic Six" fundamental movement patterns that i put together with small activities and music from a playlist I put together at 
http://www.playlist.com/playlist/20966056203    for my "Fundamentals of Movement" class. This will be helpful later-on in my project as I begin to put together basic activities and games for Elementary School-aged children to do.





“Total Body Connectivity: The whole body is connected, all parts are in relationship. Change in one part changes the whole. Acknowledging relationship between parts of the body brings the possibility for both differentiation of the parts and integration of the whole.”(Hackney, 52)

·   Breath
“…One with the life giving universe
…One with nature’s fluidity
…filling and emptying in an ever on-going cycle
…being nourished, getting rid of what is no longer needed
…feeling whole
…no aims, no goals
…simply BEING”
(Hackney, 54)

Ø Animal-ameba
Ø Activity-turn off the lights on the ground listen to breathe, or 3D breathing, tactile
Ø Song- Gravity Of Love

·   Core/distal
“Coming into my innermost core,
 all parts of me find relationship.
 I experience support within and
 life lines of connection through which
 I pulsate and radiate bright with internal energy.
 I can go out from my core,
because I know I can return.
I am centered, supported by my core.”
(Hackney, 71)

Ø  Animal-Starfish
Ø Activity- Groups of five or six, one person lies in the X and the others are each at a distal edge, opening and closing the core person.
Ø Song- Heavenly Divine-Instrumental

·   Head/tail
“I become differentiated
…I am an individual with my own spine
I ground myself in my own sphere through yielding and pushing
…I reach and pull, giving attention to my outer environment
…I follow my curiosity and my imagination
…enjoying my supportive, flexible, playful, sensuous spine.
…All things seem possible.”
(Hackney, 90)

Ø Animal-Snake
Ø Activity-snakes
Ø Song- Melodies Of Life

·   Upper/lower
“I want, I will.
I can’t, I can.
I struggle to claim my own power and use it.
I push away to make my space safe.
I reach out to go forward toward my goal.
I fail…I push through…I succeed.
I stand on my own two feet.
I am confident as I move into my world.”
(Hackney, 121)
Ø Animal-frog
Ø Activity-pushing partner thing
Ø Song-Instrumental


·   Body Half
“I am divided
On the one hand… On the other hand….
I listen to both sides of myself.
Issues clarify and delineate into black and white,
Stable and Mobile,
Inner and Outer,
Passionate and Plodding.
I move in polarities.”
(Hackney, 181)
Ø Animal-camel
Ø Activity-Army walks Pretend you are a toy soldier and move your right half, then your left half, repeat
Ø Song-Slow Jam (Piano Instrumental)

·   Cross lateral
“I am complex.
I am interconnected within myself…
messages travel diagonally,
connecting right, upper, front
with left, lower, back,
The spiraling universe invites my participation,
around back up,
forward around and down.
I refine and polish my skills,
reaching and running molding and creating,
ready to leap into the world.”
(Hackney, 193)
Ø Animal-humans
Ø Activity-big x or movement of proximal and distal diagonal
Ø Song-Celtic Moon Prelude

Hackney, Peggy. Making Connections Total Body Integration Through             
         Bartenieff Fundamentals. New York, NY: Gordon and Breach              
         Publishers, 1998. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, the cite should look like this:
    Hackney, Peggy. Making Connections Total Body
    Integration Through Bartenieff
    Fundamentals. New York, NY: Gordon and
    Breach Publishers, 1998. Print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thesis reminds me of a method used in my Spanish class in high school called "Total Physical Response" (TPR) Method. It's using movement as a way to learn and reinforce vocabulary in a different language. I can't really explain more than that because I'm not quite sure of everything it entails, but i'm sure you can google it, and I added a youtube link below for you to get a rough idea. You could probably use TPR as an example of "how movement has been proven to improve cognitive functioning for children" as well as with highschoolers. Your project sounds like so much fun!
    Also, I was noticing all of the animal examples for the 6 basic movement patterns and the snake idea is great for the "head/tail" movement pattern, but there are other animals you could use to accentuate a head and tail such as a giraffe or ostrich for the "head" and a peacock for the "tail". And an animal idea for the "body half" movement pattern could be a penguin (i read camel and thought it didn't match at all) especially because the activity is to "march" like a soldier in the same way penguins naturally waddle. Like I said, your idea sounds so cute and if you need help brain storming animal ideas I'd be happy to help.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZY6XpB214

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you've got the most advanced blog in the class so far. As you demonstrate, a blog is a good place to collect articles about your topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments! Leah- thank you for your link and image suggestions. The reasons that I listed the animals that I did was because those are the animals originally associated with the specific movement pattens (by Irmgard Bartenieff who originally developed the "Basic Six" movement patterns), but I agree with you, a penguin or a lizard would seem to match more. Thank you so much for your in-depth comment, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete